Monday, August 31, 2009

LIZADAY SOLO "Humming Romantic"

by tracy serra

I had seen LizAday Solo twice before and really enjoyed her performance so when I saw she was playing at Virgil's Music Cafe; I decided to see her again and was not disappointed. Liz is a multi-instrumentalist, vocalist and songwriter with a very good in-world stage presence.

Liz had a brief interaction with the audience and started in with her first number, "Just Dance". She was strictly playing the acoustic guitar without any backing tracks and saying this was her warm-up song, she promised more acoustic songs before firing up the drum machine. Her acoustic guitar hummed as she played "Joey". At this point Liz was playing rhythm guitar and her voice blended melodiously with the chords she was strumming.

Liz spent a little time acknowledging and thanking the audience and began a brand new song she wrote a short while ago which I think was called "Careful What You Put Your Mind To". She followed this with "A Change Will Do You Good" which featured a kazoo as a guest instrument! Next was "I'm Gonna Love You" and this finished up the acoustic portion of the show.

As an aside, this night at Virgil's Music Cafe, if you weren't dancing, you were threatened with being tickled! So being very ticklish, I made sure I was dancing!

Liz broke out her drum machine, promising to put it away if we didn't like it. The drum machine added another dimension to her performance as she performed a song special to her by Massive Attack called “Teardrop”. You could tell the song was special to her by the emotion she showed with her voice. A song by Feist, "My Moon My Man" followed and then she wowed us with another of her favorite songs, “Drift Away”. My dance partner and I were trying to think of who her voice reminded us of. We both agreed that Liz has a sort of Kim Carnes quality to her voice.

It was time to mellow out and Liz showed her vocal versatility by doing "Spooky". With this song, she changed the whole mood of the evening. In keeping with the now romantic mood, LizAday played an original song. She said it was a "Breaking up in SL" type of song and it was a bit sad but kept the romanticized mood going. Liz followed with "If God Was One Of Us" and ended with an original song. I didn't get the title of her last song, and I was doing so well tonight.

If you have time, spend an hour with LizAday Solo the next time you are in-world. As always, please remember to tip the venues that keep giving us LIVE performances. Thanks to these establishments, LIVE music is Alive.

No comments: