Saturday, August 15, 2009

STARFLOWER ORBIT "Born With Talent"

by jenny heying

Aside from being one of the toughest places to find, I did manage to track down Starflower Orbit at the Loft. It took a while but after wading through I number of clubs, I breathed as sigh of relief as I climbed the stairs to finally see the stage.

Starflower Orbit is a singer/songwriter that does all original songs. No covers. Normally that would scare me, but I was put to rest when she opened with “One Good Reason”. It’s a wonderful song that is performed beautifully. Starflower has an incredible voice and she sings with authority and compassion. She followed that with “Tumbleweed Ballerinas” and wow, I was hooked.

Starflower is a multi-talented performer and I’d venture to say, one of the best I’ve seen in some time. Aside from her amazing talent as a writer and her incredible voice, she also accompanies herself on guitar. Normally, not all three would be good but in Starflower’s case, I couldn’t pick which aspect was the best. Each could stand on its own.


Her voice is strong, clear and delivers her pop songs with professionalism. It’s a voice suited for singing and you know that as soon as you hear it. With “That Is Love”, she conveys the message of love quite adequately.

The songs she writes are generally about love which is something we’d all write about if we could. Her talent as a writer is evident as each note is delivered and you find yourself scrolling through her set list to see what else she’s written.

She strums her guitar providing the melody for each song and on “Lost In Space”, the guitar jumped to the forefront with her voice not far behind.

If you’re born with talent, then Starflower must have been reborn three times. With each song, I found myself growing more and more fond of her talents.

The Loft is a small outdoor venue above the Crossroads Bar on the Good Times Sim. Good Times is a new sim with seven live event venues. The Loft is a sparse but adequate venue that doesn’t get carried away with texture and is great for listening to an artist like Starflower. As I said, it was a little hard to find once I tp’d to the landing point, but hopefully that will be worked on.

Starflower puts on a great show. She delivers her material from an avatar this night dressed in black with a matching black guitar being constantly strummed. She’s as much visual as she is audible.

The nice thing about not doing covers is you have less chance to compare a Second Life® artist to a recorded artist. I kind of wanted to do that, but couldn’t. Starflower stands on her own. It’s also nice to hear an entire set of original songs rather than the odd one thrown in.

As a reviewer, I found it difficult to concentrate on just one aspect of Starflower. I wanted to concentrate on the words, listen to her play and marvel at her voice. Then again, the three blended so well, I just sat back and enjoyed what she offered.

She continued through her set of original songs with “Beautiful Blue”, “Only Human” and “Galactic Lullaby” each reinforcing what I’ve said. If I had a vote for artist of the year, she’d get it quite easily.

I can’t really say much else about Starflower Orbit. I can keep on praising her, but to get the full impact you have to check her out live. Do that and when you do you’ll see how right I am.

She closed her set with “Space Cowgirls”, “Just Shadows” and “Can You Imagine” leaving me wanting more and calling up her schedule.

No comments: