Saturday, June 21, 2008

GINA STELLA "SL Genius"

by jenny heying

While I love seeing some old favorites, there is nothing like checking out someone you haven't seen before. The description I saw in live events "acoustic folky rock musician" kind of intrigued me. I tp'd down to "Cheers" to catch Gina Stella expecting something interesting. Well I found more than that.

Gina not only has an incredible voice, but plays guitar as well, which while not being a big deal, is definitely more appealing is SL these days. Gina's voice is a little "Jewel" like, soft, sweet but strong and projected. Crisp, clear and not a struggle to be heard.She delivers each song with confidence and that confidence is contagious.

The normal rap between and during songs is there and she seems oh so nice, kind of like the friend you want to have. She strikes me as the sort of woman who would be everyone's friend.

But back to the music. Gina not only sings and plays guitar but writes as well. "Never Get Over You", a self penned tune is just as amazing as any cover she performed. Like Jewel and Dido whom she covers, her writing conveys that sense of being and living through emotion that they do. While I think Gina was at her best doing Jewel and Dido covers, the rest of her set list is well worth listening to as well. With Lonely Feelings, What Ya Do and If God Were One Of Us she shows that she is the SL Genius she claims to be (she was joking). But really, I've grown a little tired of hearing the same things over and over again by a lot of performers, but Gina delivers her repertoire with conviction, emotion, clarity and a whole lot of talent.

Acoustic, Folky Rock Musician? Yep she lived up to the billing. Even tender ballads ala Joan Armatrading and Norah Jones.

Well if you are in the mood for some great vocals, pretty decent guitar playing, a little humor, and a whole lot of fun, I have a solution for you.Go see Gina Stella!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina is the one to see! I've heard about a dozen or more live acts in SL but none were as close and comfortable, (kinda like it's your best friend up there on stage) as Gina, and she has nothing short on talent. I was lucky somebody had mentioned her when I needed a singer on short notice for my club and I am so glad (that's an understatement, by the way) that we were able to get her for the show. She's definitely on the *Must get her to play again!* list!

Anek Fuchs said...

Gina Stella, is a force in SL to be reckoned with, her originals, leave you craving more, and her covers, always an improvement from the original, while she adds her own flavor and texture to each note.

Unknown said...

Thank you! you made me smile...and i know why I do what i do in SL...i love making people's days brighter..hugs to all! ty for the lovely article....

Muse Lemon said...

Gina Stella is a gift to all that are lucky enough to hear her music and angelic voice. Her original songs are written with an honesty that speaks to you heart.But above all, Gina is a love giver. If you listen for it, you will feel it.With rejuvination to the soul, and a profound peace,we are so greatful for you, Gina.

Sandy Beachey said...

Gina Rocks!

I just wish the Atlantic would shrink so I can catch her more often

Yawn.......

Sleepy Sandy
x