Sunday, October 26, 2008

FROGG MARLOWE / JAYCATT NICO "Perfect Harmony"

by julieanne rau

I'm a Fan!! It's just that simple!! These two guys are the musical package that I have been waiting to hear in Second Life ™. Perfect two-part Harmony, Perfect Pitch, and a perfect night at Gia's Fashion Cabaret. It was so good, I asked Jaycatt Nico (who's real name is Jon), where do I get a CD? Jon said 'Well, we haven't recorded yet, we pretty much just play live together. We have a solo album each, from before we played so many duets.' Frankly, I was disappointed.

The music was so well developed that I had to know more and I cornered Jaycatt after the show to ask a few questions. These two guys do amazing things in Second Life ™ that I have never heard before including a 'fade-out' at the end of a song without electronic help and an acapella version of 'Feeling Groovy’ by Simon & Garfunkel that had me snapping my fingers along with them. Frogg plays the guitar and harmonica and Jaycatt is on the piano. No electronic backup or gimmicks, just plain, perfect harmony. The acapella versions got me asking Jaycatt about it and he replied 'Oh thanks! I used to sing that song as a kid with my sister back when I was a soprano lol'.


They are comfortable with each other and as they bantered back and forth I assumed they were old friends. However, I was surprised to learn that although they had grown up just down the street from each other in Eugene, Oregon they only started playing together after joining Second Life ™ in June 2005. 'We love the banter :D We've known each other since first grade' Jaycatt said. Most of what they played ' ...were originals tonight, I think ... Or an even mix... Some are just obscure too :)' But even I could pick out 'No Woman No Cry” by Bob Marley, 'Ain't no Sunshine’ by Bill Withers and 'House of the Rising Sun' which they truly made their own.

I was intrigued by the avatars, Frogg Marlowe dresses like a... yeah, you guessed it... a Frog, and Jaycatt Nico is a Siamese Cat. I asked Jon about it... 'Well, it's from the Jaycatt nickname :D. My dad gave it to me when I was 6 or 7, I think. My first name is Jon, but he used to say J. So I found a cat avatar that looked closest in color to my cat Samantha here in RL'. I suggested that being a musician in Second Life ™ is all about the Fun. ' Yeah :D well, at first I didn't play music in SL, probably for the first 3-4 months. I just hung out at a bar for the chatter, kind of being the 'bar cat' thing lol, like on some sitcom, the comic relief :D Then Frogg started playing and I joined him ^^'. I'm glad he did.

If you enjoy great harmony and Acoustic Folk jazz, these are the guys for you! Did I mention that I'm a Fan?

Frogg and Jaycatt’s music can be heard and purchased at the following sites: http://www.froggmarlowe.com/ or http://www.jaycattnico.com/

You can find a calendar of all their up and coming live shows here: http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/froggnjay

(video courtesy of tracy serra)

No comments: