Friday, October 17, 2008

ONLYHALFCRAZY GUMBO "Girl Just Wants To Have Fun"

by julieanne rau

Country, Classic rock and Comedy is the best description to use when you watch an OnlyHalfCrazy Gumbo concert. I love her profile 'I was born in RL, but I've lost the LM. So here I am!' That one line says a lot about a lady that loves to sing and laugh. Her voice is unique and she did tunes everywhere from “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia to “It’s Not Unusual by Tom Jones” (not my favorite) to “Me and Bobby McGee” by Janice Joplin (my favorite). Her 15 song, 1 hour set was entertaining and professionally done. You can tell this lady has been in a recording studio before.

Her gimmick or sidekick is a hamster with its own voice and personality. This is not the first time I have seen OHC (OnlyHalfCrazy) perform and I'm afraid the hamster just doesn't do it for me. I assumed from previous performances that she was using a voice track machine to make a high, pitchy voice during her performance. We found out that it is actually pre-recorded. Maybe it’s me or my speakers but I have no idea what that thing is saying and from the lack of response of the crowd, I don't think I'm alone. I like the concept but it just needs to be fresher!

My favorite part of the show was her interaction with the crowd. When she introduced the song “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” she asked the question of “What do guys like?” As she sang her song, the crowd reacted with everything from they like to “hog the remote” to “fart” and some things I just can't mention! That playfulness works well with the gang in Gia’s Fashion Cabaret where interaction with the singer makes the experience unique to that venue.

I am always impressed with professionalism. Things like thanking the venue, sticking around after your set is done to mingle in the crowd (even if you have another set to go to), and generally being accessible makes a link between the performer and the audience. OHC does take requests which are always a sign of a professional. If I had a criticism to make, it would be the song selection. OHC does it all, but taking a page from the “idol judges”, you have to have the song fit the voice. Sometimes that just didn't happen for me such as Pat Benatar’s “Love is a Battlefield”.

All in all, I like the performance. She has an honest voice, professional manner, and is that type of person that makes Lemonade from old lemons. She ended the set the way I would like to end this column, singing “Bye Bye Love”.


(Video courtesy of Tracy Serra)

No comments: