Sunday, July 20, 2008

ZED ESSEX "Straight Up Rock"

by jenny heying

I've seen Zed Essex at least a dozen times and keep meaning to do a review of him, but just never seem to get it done. I was impressed with him the first time I heard him and have had him play at my club a few times, but when it comes to doing a review, I don't know, my timing sucks I guess.

Zed has been around Second Life awhile (Aug 2006) and to survive the music industry here that long, you have to have something going for you. He's a straight forward guitar player and doesn't use backing tracks. That's a plus in my books. His voice is strained, in a rock n roll kind of way and it adds to the texture coming through the mic.

Classic rock is Zed's forte. He can play modern stuff too, but he shines on the older tunes. Opening with Marcy Playground, Depeche Mode and Pink Floyd gives you an idea of what Zed is all about. Zed pulls no punches; he delivers his set list without frills or gimmicks and if you love a singer/guitar player that knows what he's doing, then Zed is your man. In front of a small but definitely appreciative crowd at Zurich City Opera House, Zed put himself on display.

Zed displays his talents constantly, particularly on slower songs like Alison and Sonnet. The raspiness of his voice will drive a few women crazy, okay me, lol, but he holds true to the artists he covers. An accomplished guitar player, Zed masterfully accompanies himself. My only complaint is that it's acoustic and I'd love to here him on electric guitar. On more uptempo songs, Zed still delivers. With On and On (Longpigs) and Lost in Space (Aimee Mann), Zed's voice carries. He doesn't miss a beat and he's eager to please. Pleasing is something we come to second life for and Zed is quite happy to do it. Musically of course.

Since I'm a big Bowie fan, hearing Zed cover China Girl was a plus. He took it full steam. I hope he adds a few more Bowie covers.

And if Zed isn't talented enough putting himself on stage for us, he also writes. Dance is an Essex penned tune and it fits with Zed's abilities. He better keep writing and throwing a few more of his own songs into the mix.

Zed doesn't dazzle you with kewl backing tracks, unusual sounds or any other "extras", he just gives you a guitar and himself. Plain and simple. If you want to be impressed with something other than straight forward classic rock, kewl, but if the Beatles, Tragically Hip, Soft Cell and a little Plain White T's thrown in will make your day, then take in a Zed Essex show. You'll be so glad you did.

No comments: