Saturday, July 19, 2008

BILLY MIKOYAN "Chameleon"

by jenny heying
.
With all the men in Second Life ™ pretending (and denying) to be women in second life it's refreshing to meet someone who doesn't try to hide the fact. In Second Life ™ you can be whatever you want and enough about that..

You can call me straight and even a prude, but I did manage to head over to the Velvet Thorn to catch Billy Mikoyan's show and it was worth the trip.

A small but appreciative crowd welcomed Billy as he opened with a little Santana (Smooth). Following up with Waiting on a Friend and suddenly I was hooked. Billy's vocals are fantastic, hitting high notes when he needs to and dropping to a lower tone when called for. His backing tracks are strong, crisp and addicting. Listening to Billy is a treat in a saturated music market.

While a lot of Second Life ™ performers are content to bring you the same overdone set list, Billy goes out on a limb and gives you a lot of what you don't normally hear. Yes, it's classic rock, but the good stuff. Long Cool Woman got me out of my real life seat and bouncing around my monitor.

Okay I can't get through with out a little downside. It was tough finding the stage. I had to TP a few times before getting there, but once there it was simply enjoyable.

On Jack and Diane, Billy showed how strong his voice can be. A little crackle but he managed to pull through. Covering Tom Petty (Don't Do Me Like That), he played into my ears. Billy's energy and confidence carry through to the crowd and I could feel it. He easily puts you in the mood. Your head swirls and you sway with his sound. You even forget that there's a female av on stage (oops I wasn't going to talk about that).

Leading into Supertramp's Goodbye Stranger showed just how diverse Billy is. His style and show are definitely unique. His voice changes frequently; his tempo as well. You are in Billy's world now. And just when you think you have Billy figured out, he comes up with his version of Devil Goes Down To Georgia and you know you are so far from Coyote Ugly it's scary. Billy is a chameleon musically. I didn't expect it, but he launched into Margaritaville and I know Jimmy Buffet was doing double takes.

You definitely can't label Billy. He knows no genre and it seems if he likes a song, he does it, regardless. Considering what he did up till now, I didn't think I could be more surprised. But Billy does that to you. He keeps you on (or off) your toes and you never know what to expect. Knocking back The Who's Teenage Wasteland, then Radar Love and finishing with Great Balls of Fire.

Normally I get bored halfway through a show, but here, the time flew and before I knew it, he wrapped up his show. Till next time I hope. To experience Billy is to be experienced. He changes you. He commands your attention. You let him. And I found my new favorite performer.

No comments: