Friday, February 20, 2009

JESSY SOMMER "What A Difference!"

by julieanne rau

What a difference 5 ½ months can make! I was reading the Thump magazine review for Jessy, dated Oct 9th, 2008, and asking myself “Is this the same person?”

Jessy TP’d into Gia’s Fashion Cabaret and then moments later, the place filled up. It was like someone opened the front door of the building and the lineup poured in. Thirty Nine (39) people packed the joint and it stayed that way for the one hour long concert. I can see why, even I was enjoying her soft, sweet and yet clear voice.


Her setup is really good and even with her soft spoken voice, its clear. You can see this girl hasn’t played professionally, just by her mannerisms and yet, I wanted to hear what she was really capable of. She has a play list with over 100 songs, which does not include her original stuff – like her opening number “Safe Tonight”!

Her song selection is quite diverse considering that 5 ½ months ago, there was no song list. She played Brian Adams’ “Heaven”, Cat Stevens’ “The First Cut is the Deepest” and Prince’s “When Doves Cry” -- which surprised me as my favorite. Not that it sounded like the original, it didn’t!! But it was incredibly unique and fitting for her.

At the end of the performance, I asked her if she performs in Real Life and was half surprised and yet half not, that she doesn’t. She has a style that I’m drawn too. She’s comfortable being in the center and uses her microphone well in-between songs. I even felt it was a bit endearing, as she would do the 3 octave down pitch “du – du – du” as she searched for the lyrics for a requested song. I guess you will have to go to one of her concerts to really see what I mean.

My biggest criticisms would have to be two things. She is a giggler and tends to read the comments that people are making during her performance. Not a good idea at Gia’s, where most try to make the performer laugh anyways. It was all about peeing this time round! Yes, it is another reason you have to come to this place! Even the audience comments. “It’s cute she giggles – during the song”, I heard Meat Supply say. The second is how she ends a song, it’s difficult to explain but it’s like the last note of the lyrics is the song ending and the accompanied guitar ends at the same time. Very weird as the crowd gives you that 2 second pregnant-pause and then applauds. Maybe that is something to work on?
.
Frankly, if this is the progress she has made in 5 ½ months I can’t wait for the next half of the year!!



No comments: