Friday, March 6, 2009

STRUMMER VULTEE "Giving Inspiration"

by julieanne rau

I had internet trouble getting on to Second Life®. When you hear advertisements of amazing and awesome you’re expecting to see something truly amazing and awesome. When I arrived the first think I noticed was the place had about 23 avatars in it and almost all were women. I got there just in time but unfortunately someone already had my favorite dancing spot. I tried to dance as close to it as I could but it wasn’t the same. Okay, enough about me.

I heard that Strummer does it all, plays country, soul, rock and even blues. His opening number was “Put a Little Love in your Heart” by Annie Lennox. Nothing special there except his back drop music. It seemed like he had a full band playing behind him. Later on, I asked him a “quick question”, “You playing any of those instruments?” His reply “Yes Guitar harp. I use a holder. I run two different drum machines with my left foot and my vocal harmony with my right and play the keyboard when I use it.” Ok, I was sure he was teasing me so I had to ask if he was, “No that’s what I use.”

I think he plays a mix of all types as advertised. His second song was titled “Wing Ding Doodle”. I think it was an original as I can’t find a reference for it anywhere. I guess I should have asked. He did mention we were going to have a Wing Ding Doodle night so I shouldn’t have expected less. By now the joint had increased to an average of 37 avatars. Songs like “Ain’t Even Done with the Night” by John Mellencamp, “She’s a Good Girl” and “Free Fallin’” both by Tom Petty followed. Not quite the awesome and amazing performance I wanted to hear. His voice did crack on one of the Tom Petty songs but I noticed he also did his own backup voice and I asked him about it. “It’s a digitech vocalist live 4”, he commented. I was starting to understand that he took his Second Life® performances serious. That’s good to know, for someone like me who is expecting to hear what is advertised or at least someone that is trying.

No play sheet to choose from though but someone did shout out play some Bowie and was treated with “Space Oddity”. What I liked was how comfortable he felt with the microphone. Saying “Hi” to people he knew and didn’t know. Thanking the venue and sponsors and basically reading every line that everyone writes. I can appreciate his multi-tasking skills. Trust me, from someone that can’t walk and chew gum at the same time. At one point the SIM hit 43 people and that’s a respectable turn out. He even recognized a few other musicians that had come to “get inspiration” he said.

As a side note, I like to find out what the musician’s real name is. I think that if you’re really worth seeing in Second Life® and you take it seriously, you would want people to know who you really are. Robert Combs (aka Strummer Vultee), fits nicely into that category. I have been toying with the idea of a 5 star rating system and if I had one, Strummer would get 3.5 to 4 stars. I believe he is very professional and I like how versatile he is with his music and general performance. His voice is a bit pitchy but since this is the first time I have seen him, my criticism of it, isn’t that harsh. Worth a second look is what I’m saying.
At the end of our small conversation, he told me he’ll get me free tickets to his next show. I think I'll take him up on that offer.
.
"Author's Note: After a conversation with Strummer's manager, I was later informed that Strummer did have a throat problem and being the professional he is, rather than canceling he performed. I also understood, he later did lose his voice completely and was forced to cancel several SL performances after that. I count myself lucky then! Definitely will review again so that I can get the whole story to you."

2 comments:

Ric Rembrandt aka Rickey Ray said...

Well, I think the reviewer should go to a few of Strummer's shows to get the "big picture" of just what the definition of "consumate performer/musician/songwriter" is. He wipes the floor with most performers in SL AND RL. I call Strummer a friend in both SL and RL and have been fortunate to perform with him on occasion in RL, as he generously invites me up on stage. Back in 1992 (probably before this reviewer was out of short pants), I hired Strummer and his bandmate to sing background vocals on a recording project, and that is when our friendship began. There are 2 Grammy award winners on those recordings. David Teegarden for his drumming with Bob Seger, and Gordon Shryock for his engineering prowess with Andre Crouch. Let me just tell you that Stummer is at that level. The reviewer has no idea that Strummer OWNS the stage at whatever venue he plays, and I am proud to call him my campadre. He along with his manager Lea have generously helped me get my start with my SL music career, and for that I am eternally grateful. To the reviewer; ALL musicians have off nights, especially when you are trying to play with with a compromised voice. When you have a gig schedule as busy as his, it is easy to see how he could lose his voice from time to time, but make no mistake, Strummer Vultee is a professional and endearing performer, and can sing his ass off! His audience and busy schedule are a testiment to that. Stum knows more songs than I can even count and can play them at the drop of a hat. Reviewer, please take my comments in the spirit in which they are intended. Strummer deserves more than what you put down, and I am talking from more than 35 years of playing music. If you only knew what it takes to play music in SL, you could appreciate it more, and be kinder to us musicians that are hanging our ass out there to entertain you and exercise our muse. By the way, I'm not sure, but I bet Strummer was performing the classic "Wang Dang Doodle" written by Willie Dixon for Howlin' Wolf at Chess Records in Chicago, and later covered by many musicians, including the great Savoy Brown which the reviewer probably has never heard of. Sorry reviewer person. Get some knowledge before you go throwing your opinion around. Sincerely,
-Ric Rembrandt

Ric Rembrandt aka Rickey Ray said...

To reviewer julieanne rau:

I failed to see that there was a name associated with this review.
I was a little harsh on you and and suffering from a little "comment remorse", but I stand by everything I said, except maybe that you were probably in short pants in 1992. Anyhow, like I said previously, please take my comment in the spirit for which it is intended, and that is to give a knowledgeable rebuttal of your review of my friend and musical buddy Strummer Vultee. Just as we musicians are open to criticism by critics, reviewers, et al, so are critics and reviewers, et al open to criticism from musicians. It goes both ways julieanne. I urge you to listen to the song "Jools and Jim" by Pete Townsend from his magnificent "Empty Glass" and you will see where I am coming from here. You know what they say; "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." In any case, please give Strummer another listen or 2, and maybe you will come away with a different opinion.

Peace,

-Ric Rembrandt