Monday, September 7, 2009

LIL EGYPT HAS TALENT

by jenny heying

Curiously, I flew on down to Lil Egypt for the kickoff of the thirteen week Second Life® version of reality music shows called “Lil Egypt Has Talent”. The premise; each performer has ten minutes to sway the judges with each Monday’s winner coming back for the next round beginning October 5th. But enough about the contest lets look at the ten minute performances on opening night (eleven performers scheduled).

LoveSongs Writer is a Columbia singer/songwriter and from what I could here, seems pretty talented. However with my volume turned up as loud as it would go, I could barely hear him. Straining a lot, I did manage to pick up some of the Spanish melodies but faintly. While I didn’t make out the names of the songs, I particularly enjoyed the ballads he sang. Something about Latin music that just makes you feel romantic. I’ll have to take him in again sometime.

The stream was so much better when Capos Calderwood took the stage. With definite country flair, Capos jumped into a ditty about Second Life®. While I’m not a country music fan, Capos was entertaining whether at a fast tempo or slowing things down. He has a sweet yet fun voice that just beckons you to listen. With “Stranded”, he let his talent show with what turned out to be a quirky fun song.


After a lengthy stream change, Helena Ariantho was rescheduled to 7PM and Loren Andretti jumped in behind the microphone. In keeping with the self accompaniment on the guitar, Loren strummed through a short dreamy set. With a voice slightly reminiscent of Jim Morrison, I got a little dreamy eyed as well. The songs he did were lively and his voice was strong enough to come through the stream clearly.

With Monday night lag being what it is; Matthew Perreault was unable to get it together, SL wise, with Lexie Luan presenting herself next on stage. Lexi has a strong vocal presence and with “Throw Away Girl”, she brought some life to the stage. She’s a powerful singer who is more than adequate with her guitar. The sets being short, her second and final song “I Could Get Used To You” is an original song performed with a sultry flare that I feel is part of what Lexie’s show is about.

FacelessAPe Mefusala, complete with purple skin, kept with the guitar playing theme tonight. Actually, he’s an amazing guitar player. While his guitar playing may be his strong suit, his voice isn’t that far behind. On “Tupelo Honey”, both were amazing. He sings with passion with his axe providing the support. Following with “She Talks To Angels” made me a Faceless fan. I’m checking his schedule for the week.

It makes for a long night but you can pop in anytime throughout the two hour show and stay for as many artists as you wish. Being extremely busy (yeah that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it) I couldn’t stay for the whole event but I left it in the good hands of the 40 or so in attendance. My apologies to the balance of the performers.

The idea of a talent extravaganza is one I like. As someone who tries to see as many artists as possible, it’s a great way to get a sampling of a lot of them in a short space of time. If you’re not sure who to see, you can see them all here and then venture out to capture an entire performance at a later date. Does Second Life® have talent? You’ll find out at Lil Egypt.

2 comments:

Matthew Perreault said...

Lag insanity. Sorry you had to go before I made my return appearance. Here's me on Live n Kickin', for your readers' enjoyment:

http://archives.treet.tv/live-n-kickin-matthew-perreault

Jenny said...

Thanks Matthew.

I'm sorry I missed you too. I'll look you up at another gig.