Friday, September 11, 2009

DAMIAN CARBENELL "Time Stands Still"

by tracy serra

My dance partner told me that Damian Carbenell was playing at Zentopia and we decided to TP over there to see him. We got ourselves a nice spot on the dance floor and got ready to listen to his hour and a half show!

Damian greeted everyone as he got set up, thanking everyone for being there and letting us know where his play list was located. He then started the night with "Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman. He followed with an original song, "Damn It I Love You", which he dedicated to a patron of the venue. Damian mentioned that this was the longest show he has done in-world and it was going to be a weekly event!

He continued with "When Did I Fall In Love" and a Bob Dylan cover of "To Make You Feel My Love". I felt this song really showed off his guitar playing. I was impressed. As Damian played "1,2,3,4" by the Plain White T's, I realized that almost every other song was a request from his play list. Damian seemed surprised that he kept getting requests! He better get used to it. "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon-5 was followed by a sample of "Message In A Bottle" which he claimed he was just learning. Based on the sample of the song, it is just about ready to be in his show.

His voice held up during "Free Fallin" and then he switched to playing the piano. He performed "Georgia On My Mind", "Right Here Waiting For You" and "Melancholy Blues" before giving us a taste of an un-named original that was still being worked on. It sounded pretty finished to me! Damian switched back to the guitar and continued with the requests performing "Wild World", "My Unintended", a Lady Gaga cover of "Poker Face", "Same Mistake" by James Blunt, "Creep" by Radio Head after which Damian did another original called "Come Inside".

As Damian got ready to close his performance, he thanked everyone for being there, apologized for not getting to everyone's request and plugged the venue. He finished with "Word Play” by Jason Mraz.

My sexy dance partner and I wondered where the time had gone. Damian had made the time fly and the hour and a half was gone before we knew it. His wide variety in music style is sure to please everyone and make time stand still.

No comments: